The mouse is one of the most basic input devices.
You can move the mouse around. Also you have two buttons, the left one and the right one.
- move: the cursor on the screen moves as you move the mouse.
- leftclick: click on the left button.
- rightclick: click on the right button.
- drag: leftclick on an icon (to "grab" it) and keep the button
down while moving the mouse, the release the button.
How it works
introduced by Apple in 84
- The ball
- The x- and y-rollers
- the disk having 36 holes, moved by rollers
- infrared LED and an sensor on both sides of the disk.
- encoder chip: tiny processor transforms pulses from infrared sensors
into bytes to be sent towards the computer
Emits light of the surface
and analyses movement using a camera.
- no mechanical parts
- no dirt
Into the cable ...
using again either PS/2 or USB,
again powers comes from the computer to the mouse,
data goes from mouse to computer, again as a string of bytes.
track ball, ...
Avoiding a mouse
Sometimes, for instance with a notebook in a plane, you want to avoid mouse use
and also trackball, ... .